Thank you, @subaru_usa, for generously supporting homebound seniors and local #MealsOnWheels programs across the country over the past decade!
Meals on Wheels
Popularly known as “Meals-on-Wheels”, this federally sponsored home delivered meal service is a national program administered locally to deliver well-balanced, lunchtime meals to frail, homebound individuals who are at least 60 years of age. Elders are asked to make a $2.50* donation per meal to help defray the cost of the meal.
Elder Services delivers hot lunches to elders living in Auburn, Barre, Boylston, Grafton, Hardwick, Holden, Leicester, Millbury, New Braintree, Oakham, Paxton, Rutland, Shrewsbury, West Boylston, and Worcester. Meals are delivered Monday-Friday and include regular hot meals, modified meals for diabetics, supper meals and frozen meals, depending upon a client’s needs. Kosher and therapeutic meals are available in the City of Worcester, frozen therapeutic meals are available in all towns.
For information about Meals on Wheels contact Elder Services of Worcester Area’s Information & Referral Department at 508-756-1545.
Dining Center Meals
Located in senior centers, elder complexes, and other convenient places, dining centers are locations where people aged 60 and over can enjoy good food and good company. Participants receive a nutritious noon meal and have the opportunity to socialize and make new acquaintances. Participants are asked to make a $2.50* donation per meal to help defray the cost of the meal.
Map of ESWA Dining Centers
Gift Certificates available; 5 Lunches for $12.50. To find out how to make a reservation or order Gift Certificates, call Elder Services of Worcester Area’s Nutrition Program at 508-852-3205.
Volunteers are essential in the operation of the Meals on Wheels and Dining Center Programs.
Click here for more information about ESWA’s volunteer opportunities.
What people are saying about the Nutrition Program
Meals on Wheels:
- (With Meals on Wheels) I can stay at my home without having to go to a nursing home.
- We appreciate the service, are thankful for it and your efforts to provide good food.
- (Meals on Wheels) reminds me to eat
- (Meals on Wheels) helps me to eat a good nutritious meal.
- I cannot cook, if I did not have the meals I would not have anything to eat.
- (Meals on Wheels) helps me eat the food I am supposed to be eating.
- The food is very good and it gives me contact with the outside world.
- (With Meals on Wheels) I try new foods.
- I don’t cook for myself so without meals on wheels I ate completely wrong and it affected my health.
- (Meals on Wheels) helps me feel healthier.
- (Meals on Wheels provides) Portion control.
- Before receiving meals on wheels I didn’t eat lunch, I only ate breakfast and supper.
- (Without Meals on Wheels) I would have gone hungry.
- (Meals on Wheels) Helps me save money on my food budget.
- Thanks to all involved you do an amazing job.
– Meals on Wheels quality assurance survey respondents
Attending the Dining Center…
- Keeps me alive.
- Helps maintain my blood sugar.
- Helps maintain my weight.
- Helps maintain my blood pressure
- Provides portion control.
- Saves money.
- I eat less fast food.
- Is usually my biggest meal of the day.
- Helps me eat a balanced diet
– Dining Center quality assurance survey respondents
*The donation is anonymous and voluntary; any amount you can contribute is appreciated. As always, no eligible senior will be denied service based on their income or their ability to make a donation. We thank you for your continued support and generosity!Save